Tuesday, November 4, 2014

DIY no sew skirt!

My daughter dancing in this no-sew skirt

Sometimes I browse through my closet and can`t find any inspiration for an outfit. This does not automatically means "time for shopping".
In such situations (especially if I`m in a hurry), I go to my fabrics closet & try to make some quick and easy garment. There are number of outfits I made this way. Here I share the Cut Out Skirt I developed. Really, no need in sewing.

You need:
- Fabric of your choice. Just make sure it`s not transparent & not to thick. And keep in mind, that the wider and longer the fabric is, the longer your skirt will be.
- Measuring tape (or some rope).
- Scissors (that will cut fabric).


Some of the fabrics I hoarder


Step 1:
Measure your waist like this:


Step 2:
It`s best to start off with a square piece of fabric (that way you won`t be left with much waste).
Fold fabric in half on both horizontal and vertical axis. So you have 4 even layers of folded fabric.
And find the corner which indicates on the original, pre-folded square center. There we will cut the waistline.

After we found the center, we`ll roundup the opposite corner (as shown on the next photo).


Step 3:
Take your waist measure and fold it 4 times.


Step 4:
Take 1 quarter of the waist measure and place it under the center corner, like in this photo:
Then, cut along the line.


After cutting the waist corner


Step 5:
Unfold the fabric. you suppose to end up with a "fat bagel" shape like in the next photo:



Final step:
And now we will cut this shape to create a slit and a wrapping stripes:
Firs cut is a slit. Just a straight line


Cut out the rest as shown on this photo. Precision is optional.

And now just wrap the skirt around your waist 



I also tried this pattern with a simple cotton fabric. I overcome the hem line problem, by cutting all the pattern with a zigzag scissor. That way the threads won`t disintegrate.

Cotton fabric. Cutout using zigzag scissors.

*If there is some thing that needs to be clarified, just ask in the comment section. I`ll gladly answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment